What is carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which there is excessive pressure on the median nerve, the nerve of the wrist that allows feeling and movement to parts of the hand. Carpal tunnel syndrome can cause numbness, tingling, weakness or muscle pain in the hand and fingers.
The wrist area where the nerve enters the hand is called carpal tunnel. The tunnel is usually narrow, so any swelling can compress the nerve and cause pain, numbness, tingling or weakness, which is called carpal tunnel syndrome.
Some people who have this problem born with carpal tunnel is small.
Carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused by making repeated movements of the hand and wrist. The use of hand tools that vibrate can also lead to carpal tunnel syndrome.
What procedure is used in carpal tunnel surgery?
The median nerve and the tendons that bend your fingers go through a passage called the carpal tunnel in the wrist. This tunnel is narrow, so any swelling can compress the nerve and cause pain. A thick ligament just below the skin forms the top of this tunnel.
First, you will receive anesthesia arm so that you will not feel pain during surgery. You’ll be awake but also receive medicine to make you relax.
The surgeon will cut through the carpal tunnel ligament to make more room for the nerve and tendons:
- A small surgical incision in the palm near the wrist is made.
- The transverse carpal ligament is cut. This relieves pressure within the carpal tunnel and therefore the median nerve.
- The skin and the tissue beneath it with sutures (stitches) is closed.
Carpal tunnel surgery is an outpatient procedure and you do not need to stay in the hospital.
Carpal tunnel release decreases pain, nerve tingling and numbness, and restores muscle strength.
The length of recovery depends on how long had symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome before surgery and how damaged is the median nerve.
- Reservation: 20,00 EUR (included in the total amount)
- Amount: 1587.00 EUROS
IT IS INCLUDED
- First visit of pre-intervention assessment. Paid the amount of the booking made Privaclinic.
- medical expenses
- outpatient surgical procedure, surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome.
- 3 postoperative visits.
IS NOT INCLUDED
- Study and pre-operative tests.
- Possible complications hired surgical procedure. E.g., more days of admission, extra medication, ….
- Need for additional surgery, for example correction of unsightly scars.
TERMS OF SERVICE
Payment of the reservation can access the service described within three months.